Tool Control for Aerospace
Providing solutions that deliver effective FOD/Tool Control improvements is our passion. Whilst everyone recognises the importance of Tool Control within the aerospace industry, we have always seen it as our responsibility to help enhance and develop existing solutions where possible.
Foreign objects will always be difficult to monitor – but ensuring that all tools are accounted for, and not misplaced, goes a long way to helping organisations with their compliance.
We love working with clients to enhance FOD/Tool control processes, and have successfully helped to deliver a range of highly valuable specialist services – including:
- Visual Tool Control (VTC) solutions that easily identify tools not returned
- Mobile FOD tool control bags, housing all required tools for off-site maintenance
- Electronic solutions that restrict access of tools to authorised, trained users only
- Electronic audits, demonstrating controlled access and FOD reports
- Automated tool calibration control
Visual Tool Control – VTC
VTC provides engineers with an instantly visible audit, to ensure that all tools are present or, more importantly, which tools are still to be returned.
Our precision-cut Tool Control inserts are constructed from a robust, multi-coloured foam (usually black on top of a colour) to suit the requirements of the tools to be stored, within a secure tool cabinet.
We have adopted a 3-Phase precision tool ‘profiling’ process, resulting in a 2D CAD layout profile. This ensures that the spaces cut will only accommodate the tool they are designed to take, meaning that visual audits cannot be compromised by a tool being replaced in the wrong location.
Our team works with each client to ensure that any tool layout design not only works from a VTC standpoint, but also considers efficient tool arrangement – based on factors such as handling and spacing, frequency of tool use, storage requirements and so on.
These foam inserts can also include ID tagging within the foam itself, which helps to ensure that tools are returned correctly.
Electronic Tool Access Control
Controlling and auditing access to tools is an important process that all organisations should follow during the build and manufacturing process. The implications of missing or lost tools can be severe, and traditional methods such as manual sign-out sheets can be flawed and difficult to manage.
Coplan provides effective solutions for clients that need to automate access to tools, whilst also recording the issue and receipt of each one. Not only does this help with compliance around recording access, but it also provides a number of efficiencies - removing the requirement for paper-based reports, reducing downtime and freeing up time for personnel who previously had to manage the process.
The electronic Tool Access Control solutions which we offer can:
• Restrict access to certain tool kits or boxes to only authorised personnel, on a kit by kit basis
• Provide instant audits, to log who has accessed which tool kit(s) and when
• Restrict further access to tool kits in instances where all tools are not confirmed as replaced
• Restrict access to tools that are not within their calibration allowance
• Provide custom reporting and alerts for senior staff